Thursday, March 24, 2011

2011 - The Year of the Vomit

Apparently one of the joys of carrying more than one baby at once is that it doesn't just mess with your body like a normal pregnancy does - it completely jacks it up.  I recall being sick with the first set of twins, but over the years memories fade and you don't think it was "that bad".  But, I also was on summer break from teaching during my first trimeseter with Set #1 and wasn't chasing around 3 other kids.  I had the luxury of time and non-responsibility, so I spent A LOT of my days on the couch that summer.  I do remember eating multiple servings of KFC mashed potatoes and saltines, and not much of anything else.

So, Twin Pregnancy #2 Trimester #1 rolls around, and starts 2011 off with quite a bang (or "quite a barf" to be honest).

One of the reasons that this blog just started a couple weeks ago is that I pretty much spent my time in January and February feeling like crud, being extremely tired, and throwing up whatever I had happened to put in my mouth 30 minutes earlier.  Whatever energy I had went into just barely maintaining our house, trying to interact with the kids, and getting myself showered and dressed sometime during the day.

The worst time was 4 pm to bedtime, which made making, eating, and dealing with dinner particularily interesting.  Late afternoon/evening routine would usually go like this:

4pm - Feed kids snack and try to fake like I have energy to interact with them
5pm - Take last dose of anti-nausea drug and hope I don't throw it up
5:15 pm - Start making dinner while gagging and trying not to throw up
6pm - Eat dinner while working hard to hold in every bite, or just fake like I am eating it so kids don't notice
6:30 pm - Beg hubby to clean kitchen because dirty dishes and cold food make me throw up
7:30 pm - Start helping kids get ready for bed while ignoring the fact that I need to throw up
8:00 pm - Throw up
9:00 pm - Massive salivation problem, stomach empty so makes it worse.  Take dose of night-time nausea drug that makes me really sleepy and hopefully keeps me from throwing up
10:00 pm - Throw up again and debate wether I threw up my nausea drug or if it was long enough where it got into my system.  Go to sleep hoping I don't wake up in the middle of the night needing to throw up

Needless to say, there are not a lot of dinners that I prepared in January or February that I won't be making again in the near future.  So, if anyone has any good dinner recipes they can toss my way - send them over, I need them!

No comments:

Post a Comment